( Public speaking guidelines and free tips )
Fruits and Vegetables
Heroes & Incredible peoples
Impromptu Speech |CC
Forms & downloads
is an important method for communicating knowledge and expressing ideas. Being
able to verbally communicate effectively to other individuals or to groups is
essential in school, business, as well as your personal life.
Some tips for
good public speaking
Feeling some nervousness before giving a speech
is natural and healthy. It shows you care about doing well. But, too much
nervousness can be detrimental. Here's how you can control your nervousness and
make effective, memorable presentations:
- Your audience is there to hear your message.
Relax and deliver that message, instead of focusing on yourself.
- Make sure that your speech is right for your
- Take your time. Donít read your speech
word-for-word and donít rush through it. Be conversational, as if you were
talking with a group of friends.
- Donít stand up there like a stick,
clenching the podium at both sides. Be natural and animated. Use hand
gestures, drink water, move around a little. But donít rock back and forth
ó that conveys nervousness.
- Keep the speach short and
- Make eye contact with the audience. Connect
with them. Get them to nod their heads to acknowledge what youíre saying.
Make them pay attention to you.
- Practice your speech ahead of time. Take
time to pause in the right places to make eye contact and catch your
- Donít get into a debate if someone
disagrees. Talk with him/her after your speech.