Main | What
is success ?|
to be happy |
Management | How to stop ageing
to sleep well | more......
| Public Speaking |
Impromptu Speech |
Ice Breaking ( first) Speech|
The Quick and
Easy Way to Effective Speaking
( Guidelines from
Dorothy Carnegie's book based on Dale Carnegie's "Public speaking and
influencing men in business" )
Fundamentals of Effective Speaking
1. Acquiring the Basic Skills
- Take heart from the experience of others
- Keep your goal before you
- Predetermine your mind to success
- Seize every opportunity to practice
2. Developing Confidence
- Get the facts about fear of speaking in
- Prepare in the proper way
- Predetermine your mind to success
- Act confident
3. Speaking Effectively the Quick and Easy Way
- Speaking about something you have earned the
right to talk about through experience or study
- Be sure you are excited about your subject
- Be eager to share your talk with your
Speech, Speaker, and Audience
4. Earning the Right to Talk
- Limit your subject
- Develop reserve power
- Fill your talk with illustrations and
- Use concrete, familiar words that create
5. Vitalizing the Talk
- Choose subjects you are earnest about
- Relive the Feelings you have about your
- Act in earnest
6. Sharing the Talk with the Audience
- Talk in terms of your listeners' interests
- Give honest, sincere appreciation
- Identify yourself with the audience
- Make your audience a partner in your talk
- Play yourself down
The Purpose of Prepared and Impromptu Talks
7. Making the Short Talk to Get Action
- Give your example, an incident from your
- State your point, what you want the audience
- Give the reason or benefit the audience may
8. Making the Talk to Inform
- Restrict your subject to fit the time at
- Arrange your ideas in sequence
- Enumerate your points as you make them
- Compare the strange with the familiar
- Use visual aids
9. Making the Talk to Convince
- Win confidence by deserving it
- Get a Yes-response
- Speakin with contagious enthusiasm
- Show respect and affection for your audience
- Begin in a friendly way
10. Making Impromptu Talks
- Practice impromptu speaking
- Be mentally ready to speak impromptu
- Get into an example immediately
- Speak with animation and force
- Use the principle of the Here and the Now
- Don't talk impromptu--Give an impromptu talk
The Art of Communicating
11. Delivering the Talk
- Crash through your shell of
- Don't try to imitate others--Be yourself
- Converse with your audience
- Put your heart into your speaking
- Practice making your voice strong and
The Challenge of Effective Speaking
12. Introducing Speakers, Presenting and
- Thoroughly prepare what you are going to say
- Follow the T-I-S Formula
- Be enthusiastic
- Thoroughly prepare the talk of presentation
- Express your sincere feelings in the talk of
13. Organizing the Longer Talk
- Get attention immediately
- Avoid getting unfavorable attention
- Support your main ideas
- Appeal for action
14. Applying What You Have Learned
- Use specific detail in everyday conversation
- Use effective speaking techniques in your
- Seek Opportunities to speak in public
- You must persist
- Keep the certainty of reward before you
( Courtesy: http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/easy-speaking.html
Don't Grow Old
- Grow Up!
( Guidelines from Dorothy
Carnegie's book )
The first step toward maturity -
- Don't kick the Chair. Be willing to
account for yourself; don't blame others.
- Damn the Handicaps! - Full Speed Ahead.
Don't make a handicap an excuse for failure.
- Five Ways to Ditch Disaster:
- Accept the inevitable; give time a
- Take action against trouble.
- Concentrate on helping others.
- Use all of life while you have it.
- Count your blessings.<
Action is for adults
- Belief is the Basis for Action. Know
what you believe and act accordingly.
- Analyze Before You Act.
- Two Wonderful Words that Changed a Life.
When the time for action arrives, don't hesitate.
Three great rules for mental health: Know
yourself, Like yourself, Be yourself
- There's Only One Like You Learn to
know yourself by:
- Cultivating moments of solitude.
- Breaking through the habit barrier.
- Developing excitement and enthusiasm.
- Conformity: Refuge of the Frightened.
Be yourself by developing your own convictions and standards; then have the
courage to live with them.
- Why is a Bore? Develop inner
resources to avoid boring yourself and others.
- The Maturing Mind: Adventure in Adult
Living. Develop your mind through intellectual activity.
Marriage is for grownups
- How to Get Along with Women. Here are
- Give her appreciation.
- Be generous and considerate.
- Keep yourself attractive.
- Understand a woman's work.
- Be dependable.
- Share her interests.
- Love her.
- Father Come Home. Children need
- How to Get Along with Men. Here are
- Be good-natured.
- Be a good companion.
- Be a good listener.
- Be adaptable.
- Be efficient, not officious.
- Be yourself.
- Be glad you're a woman.
- The Rediscovery of Love. We must
develop a more mature concept of love.
Maturity and making friends
- Loneliness: The Great American Disease.
- People are Wonderful. Learn to
- Why Should People Like You? They will
like you if you like them and develop qualities of warmth that attract
How old are you?
- If You're Afraid of Growing Old, Read
This. Learn some of the facts about aging.
- How to Live to be 100 and Like it. To
live longer, develop attitudes that promote health of mind.
- Don't Let the Rocking Chair Get You.
Work as long as you can.
Maturity of spirit
- The Court of Last Appeal. When all
else fails, try God.
- The Food of the Spirit. Our spirit is
nourished through prayer.
( Courtesy: http://www.westegg.com/unmaintained/carnegie/grow-up.html