21 simple ways to be a
What does it take to be a great family,
where members love and support each other? Each family has their own unique
struggles, but what makes them stronger are the ways in which they overcome
burdens and celebrate the joys -- together. Use these 21 tips to bring every
member of your family closer.
1.Honor your elders. Our elders have
collected a lifetime of experiences, both good and bad. Learn from their
mistakes and cherish their wisdom. Show them your gratitude and you will reap
2. Engage in constant dialog. Communication is key when it comes to
family. Converse often to avoid any mix-ups or family feuds. Talk about topics
both big and small. And remember, you donít always have to agree.
3. Teach young kids early. Establish family dynamics and ground rules
while children are young.
4. Have respect for grandparents. Ask them to share their stories and
tell your family history to give children a better understanding.
5. Give gifts Ė both physical and emotional. Surprise a family
member with a small gift that makes you think of them, or give the gift of
patience or humor.
6. Be honest. When a confrontation is needed, be sure to do it in a
respectful, level-headed way.
7. Address bumps in the road. If your family is experiencing tough times,
hold a family meeting to clear the air and talk about it.
8. Children have a voice, too. Itís important to remember that grown
children are adults with a unique voice, opinion and perspective.
9. Talk about life changes. Big changes ahead? Ask your family for
support and the insights they can offer from their own experiences
12. Accepting different perspectives. You may never see eye to eye with a
member of your family. Accept this and embrace their feedback.
11. Appreciate parents. Remember that parents have one of the most
difficult jobs out there.
13. Ask one another tough questions. Family members need to rely on one
another to probe the hard questions and get down to the important issues in
14. Plan activities. Try to schedule events Ė like family 5K runs, or a
coffee shop outing Ė to ensure that you stay connected.
15. Create something together. Bond by creating something beautiful for
your home or yourselves. Try gardening or decorating for a party.
16. Offer supportive words. Even if you donít agree with a family member,
make sure your words are supportive and constructive, never hurtful.
17. Take time for yourself. In order to be a positive, loving member of
every family, itís important that we all take some ďmeĒ time.
18. Act as a caregiver. If a parent, child or sibling is in need, offer
to care for them.
19. Help out with daily tasks. Even the smallest things, like putting
away dishes, show that you are committed to your familyís well-being.
20. Cherish memories. Be sure to keep old photos and home movies on hand
so that you can take a walk down memory lane every once in a while.
20. Eat together. Break bread together regularly to foster togetherness
and let you catch up on one anotherís lives.
21 Be a shoulder to lean on. The best thing about families is that they
can be a phenomenal support system. Be sure to support, console and encourage
family members in good times and bad.